Whatsapp Vs Telegram Vs Signal
Over the last decade, WhatsApp has been wildly popular as a messaging communication service. The app was created in 2009 and acquired by Facebook in 2014. Its appeal was global and for a while, it was as if WhatsApp was what kept the entire world connected. But a shift happened when WhatsApp announced its new privacy policies and a percentage of the WhatsApp using population got skeptical.
Users started to look for alternatives and many-branched out to instant messaging apps like Telegram and Signal. Telegram Messenger has won accolades for being the most secure messaging app out there. The app was developed in Russia in 2013 but then banned by the Russian Government for a while on refusing to share encrypted data to collaborate with the government on issues like terrorism. It currently has over 500 million users and the ban in Russia was lifted in 2020.
Signal was released in 2014. Once a niche IM app used only by a select, secretive few, its popularity has seen an all-time surge recently after WhatsApp declared that it could be sharing user information with its parent company Facebook. Here we do a quick comparison of these three popular instant messaging apps so you can easily decide which one would work the best for your needs.
Whatsapp Vs Telegram Vs Signal: A Rundown
We compare these applications based on features and security. Here is everything that you need to know:
This is the most contentious and debatable topic among the various messaging services:
- WhatsApp – This application has end-to-end encryption, which is used on all types of communication like photos, voice calls, video calls, and messages. This means that everything you are sharing is going to be encrypted and safe. You should also be aware that your backup isn’t going to be encrypted so if someone can get hold of that they will be able to read your messages.
- Telegram – This application also offers end-to-end encryption to keep the content safe and insulated. However, this encryption is limited to calls only. To insulate chats on Telegram, one needs to use the secret chat feature. One of the coolest features of Telegram is that, with Telegram messaging service, one can use the same account on multiple devices, and alternatively, multiple accounts on a single device.
- Signal – If security is important to you, then Signal is your best bet. Recently it is at the top among the three messaging services, following a tweet from Elon Musk, where he gave Signal a shoutout. The app has also been endorsed by Edward Snowden. It uses the Signal Protocol for end-to-end encryption. The Signal Protocol is what WhatsApp uses for its encryption too. The end-to-end encryption works for all types of communication that you are using this program for and even your metadata is carefully protected.
- WhatsApp – It allows groups of up to 256 members and messages can be broadcast to numerous contacts at once. There is also an option for voice calling and video calling, that can be used for both groups as well as individuals. They also have the status or stories section where you can see what is happening with the other users on your list and stay updated.
- Telegram – On this application, you get the option of being able to create groups and private chats, and regular video and voice calling. They also allow for private or secret chats where the messages are deleted after a specific period, even if they aren’t read. Also, if you are in a group it allows for you to use hashtags, quizzes, polls, and bots to manage it and keep it interesting.
- Signal – This one doesn’t have a lot of features like the others since it has been focusing on security from the start. However, you still have the basic calling features, both voice and video calling, which can be done for groups as well as one on one. There is also a “note to self” option that you can use to send some notes or things to remember for yourself.
These are just some of the top features that you must think about when you are starting to look at which option you would go with. You need to be aware of the differences in terms of security as well as the features so you can make a perfect decision for your unique requirement